Draping: My First Attempt + Catrice Blush Artist Shading Palette First Impressions

16:54:00

I was browsing through my new favourite social media (bloglovin') when I came across a blog post about this new makeup trend called "draping". As I read the article, I was curious and I felt like trying it but I was also scared that I would end up looking like a clown. Even though I had insecurities I still went and tried it out.


So if you don't know what draping is, I'll try my best to explain. It's basically contour and highlight but using only blushes. It consists of applying a darker toned blush to the place where you would put bronzer and a lighter coloured shimmery blush to the place where you would put highlighter. It's very simple but like I said, it can go wrong and you can end up looking like a clown.
I decided to get new blushes to do this because I wasn't really seeing myself using any of the blushes I had for this. So I got the Catrice Blush Artist Shading Palette in 030 Rock n' Rose. I'll tell you what I thought of it in a minute.
So first I went with the middle shade, the darker matte one, and I applied it with a flat brush on my cheeks, making sure it was well blended but sharp at the same time. I applied it in a line like I would with a contour bronzer but then I dipped my brush into the blush again and I started blending it up to the cheekbones, filling the space a blush would normal be in. I started with the least amount of product in my brush so that I could build it up slowly and carefully. When I was happy with it, I moved on to the highlighting blush. I picked the lightest shimmery shade in the palette. I used another flat brush for this, but not very dense. This one was simpler to do. I just applied it to my cheekbones and blended it with the darker blush. Because that blush wasn't very pink anyway, it looked very much like a regular highlighter rather than a blush.
Overall, I really enjoyed the final look and how it turned out. I'll still need to learn a bit more about draping and I need to practise as well and I know it'll look better over time but for a first time it didn't look that bad. Since contouring isn't really a thing anymore, this new technique is about to take its place. It's perfect for summer because it's very colourful but it can also look amazing in the colder months, to make our pale cold skin look a bit more lively.


Now let's talk about the blush palette. It took me a while to pick which palette to get because I think that pink/berry tones look the best on my skintone and I loved the two most pink palettes equally. Out of the three shades on the palette, I would always like two and dislike the the other one. So after a lot of swatches and tryons I went with the lightest pink one (030 Rock n' Rose) because it had a nice dark matte shade and a pretty highlight shade, while the darker palette (020 Corall I Need) had really pretty dark shades but the highlight one was a bit too peach for me.
When I applied the blushes they weren't very pigmented but they're buildible. They're really easy to blend and they look really nice on, not patchy, not out of place, they look just perfect. Another downside to it is that they don't last very long. I applied them after lunch/early afternoon and by dinner time they were very faded. They didn't look as pigmented as they were when I put them on but at least they faded evenly and stayed in place all day.
Overall I wouldn't recommend this palette, there are better ones out there. But keep in mind this is only my first impression, I might change my opinion. I'll tell you if I do, don't worry. I'm gonna keep trying it out, seeing how I can work with it better.

Catrice is cruelty-free.

I hope you're having a great day, 
Marta Ribeiro xx 

 All of the pictures are protected by Copyright. Any use without given credit is punished by law.

You Might Also Like

0 coments

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate every comment and I always try to reply to everyone. I hope to hear from you again soon!