Breakfast Chats #6 | Disney Princess Status

11:05:00


I watched "Moana" the other day. I'm late to the party, I know. And I loved it! I loved it so much! I was never a big fan of Disney movies. The new Beauty and the Beast? Not really interested in watching it. My favourite childhood movie The Little Mermaid? I never really loved it that much, I just liked mermaids and needed something to say when people asked me what my favourite Disney movie was. Growing up, as I got more in touch with my activist self, I started disliking the good old Disney classics even more. Whether it was for the lack of princesses of colour or the constant need for a princess to have a prince and after watching Moana (or Vaiana in Europe even though I like Moana more) I noticed that it hadn't gotten nearly as much attention as other Disney movies.
Remember when Frozen came out? People literally talked about it for years. Still today, I go into a kid's toy store and all I see is Frozen. Frozen is a great story, don't get me wrong. It has a queen, that also happens to be single. It shows a lot of the Scandinavian culture which was never something people talked about much. It's lovely. But there's Anna. Anna is the typical princess. In Moana, there's nothing of that sort. She's a strong independent woman that needs no man. Her biggest role model was her grandma. Yeah, she had Maui but most of the work, it was all her. And let's not forget she's a woman of colour.
I'm not trying to call anyone sexist or racist for not giving Moana the attention it deserves but it seems like Disney is the one not promoting it enough. I know they probably noticed that not that many people were into it so they didn't spend that much money on promo but I honestly don't agree. I think that if they had promoted it more it would've done just as well as Frozen and we would still be talking and hearing about Moana today. If you haven't watched Moana, you really need to do it. It's a great movie.
But it's not just Disney's fault. My first instinct after watching it was "of course nobody became obsessed with Moana, she's a single girl of colour." That's a thing in our society. I know why so many people didn't love Moana. I honestly thought we were way past this. It's 2017. There are so many anti-racism and anti-sexism movements. Moana should've done so much better. It's an amazing movie for younger kids to watch. It teaches a lot about female empowerment and about the Polynesian culture.
Overall, I think Moana should've been greater than it was and I can't wait for people to start treating Moana like the Disney princess that she is.

I hope you're having a great day, 
Marta Ribeiro xx 

You Might Also Like

8 coments

  1. Hey! At least you have seen Moana, I haven't at all and I normally am all over seeing the newest Disney movie. Funny enough though, I have some of the songs stuck in my head from it.

    The Adored Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The songs are stuck in my head too, they're amazing! Thank you so much for stopping by Alissa!

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen Moana....I'm super late to the party too lol! Now I have to watch it! And you're so right, the film hasn't gotten nearly as much attention as Frozen. I'm surprised I haven't heard any of the songs either. Need to get on it ASAP. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do need to watch it, it's amazing! :) Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you!!! I literally just watched Moana last week and I fell in love with the strong, independent character. I couldn't believe it didn't get more hype. It was really well done. It's a shame how much society issues influence the entertainment sector!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually haven't watched Moana yet but I do wanna see it soon. I think it's actually good that Disney is trying to have other Disney princesses or persona per se that are not just of a single race. I mean like they already have Mulan, and Moana to name a few. It's great to show cultural diversity :) Nice post dear Marta!

    ♥ Chai Chen ♥ @chenmeicai
    ☆*。˚˚http://chenmeicai.blogspot.com˚˚。*☆

    ⓛ ⓞ ⓥ ⓔ ✰Recent Posts✰
    ✨ [FASHION] Trendy Summer Korean Swimwear Pieces from Korean Rose Shop
    ✨ [TRAVEL] 12 Beautiful Churches in Manila for Visita Iglesia & Translacion Holy Week Philippines 2017
    ✨ [FOOD] Ultimate Taste Test: Super Scoops Premium Vegan Ice Cream VLOG
    ✨ [LIFESTYLE] Can You Ditch Shampoo? #TakeAShowerWithUs with Hairstory New Wash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's amazing that Disney is doing that! But unfortunately the public isn't really going with it... I honestly thought we were way past this.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! I appreciate every comment and I always try to reply to everyone. I hope to hear from you again soon!